CHIBoW 2018

CHIBOW - Children Born of War – Final Conference Leipzig 27. - 28. Juni 2018

Chibow ist ein europäisches Projekt, angesiedelt an der Universität Birmingham, in dem  junge Menschen aus vielen Herkunftsländern ihre Promotionsarbeiten (Phd) schreiben. Nach über dreijähriger Arbeit fand die Abschlusskonferenz in Leipzig statt.

​Diese Forschung befasst sich mit den  Themen: Kinder des Krieges, Kindern von Besatzern oder UN Friedenstruppen. Der Bezug liegt nicht nur in  der Problematik des Zweiten Weltkrieges, sondern vor allem in der neueren Geschichte. (Balkankrieg, Ostasien, Afrika und Nahost )

Das Programm war kompakt gefüllt mit spannenden Vorträgen. Am ersten Nachmittag konnten wir in öffentlicher Sitzung die Gruppe Distelblüten vorstellen und an der Fragerunde teilnehmen. Außer rund 50 Konferenzteilnehmern fanden auch  Gäste den Weg zur Tagung. Sicher wären  es noch viel mehr gewesen, wenn  auch das denkwürdige Fußballspiel Deutschland – Südkorea um 20 Uhr auf Sendung gegangen wäre.

Vom Sender MDR Kultur waren gleich zwei Mitarbeiterinnen erschienen. Eine vierminütige Sendung ist am Samstag, 30.6. geplant. Eine Stunde Sendezeit ist am 3. Juli um 22 Uhr vorgesehen.

Von den Distelblüten waren Alexandra, Birgrit und Winfried gekommen. Endlich konnten wir auch Eleonore aus Österreich kennenlernen.  ​Zur abendlichen Lesung sprach sie ​zu ihrem Buch "Befreiungskind".

Schön war es, auch Philipp Kuwert von der Uni Greifswald wiederzusehen. Er wird uns bei weiteren Projekten unterstützen.

Die Liste der betreuenden Professoren war lang. Oft waren es auch die Direktoren der entsprechenden Abteilungen: Sie kamen aus Moskau, Boston, Tel Aviv, Riga, Warschau, Birmingham, Leipzig und weiteren.

Die Vorträge auf hohem Niveau hatten einen Nachteil: Teils sehr schnell auf Englisch gesprochen, erforderten sie eine intensive Konzentration, um inhaltlich folgen zu können.

Unser Beitrag fand sehr lobende Anerkennung und führte zu etlichen Anfragen zur englisches Ausgabe von „Thistleflowers“. Wir freuen uns, neue Kontakte knüpfen zu können und die Bezeichnung „Bridgebuilders“ (Brückenbauer) zwischen Menschen und Nationen zu sein, ehrt uns.

Besonders interessant fanden wir einen Beitrag aus China zu  Kindern aus chinesisch-japanischen Beziehungen während des WWII.

Eine Künstlerin aus Kanada stellte diese Geschichte​ als Video auf berührende Weise zeichnerisch gekonnt dar.

Eine chinesische Fotografin (jetzt NL) stellte  eine Porträtserie aus.

Ein Choreograph stellt die Problematik der Kriegskinder mit Tänzern in Sarajewo dar. Das Stück wird im nächsten Jahr auf die Bühnen kommen.

Die angehenden Doktoren hatten zu ihrer Arbeit jeweils ein Plakat vorbereitet. Auf einem lettischen entdeckten wir unsere Distelgrafik, mit der in Lettland Probanden gesucht werden.

Bei den Vorträgen waren die Beiträge aus Bosnien, Uganda und dem Kongo besonders beeindruckend.

Wir bedanken uns für die erhaltene Möglichkeit durch diese Konferenz den Blick über den Tellerrand werfen zu können und nicht nur auf die Russenkinder fixiert zu bleiben.

Auf dem Bild von links:

Olga Moskau, Birgrit, Alexandra, Winfried, Eleonore, Barbara

Sobald die Dokumentation aus Birmingham vorliegt, werden wir sie hier verfügbar machen.

3. Juli 2018  22 Uhr

Hier der Link zur Sendung des MDR Kultur

In der Mediathek auf den 3. Juli 22 Uhr gehen.

Hier ein Link zum österreichischen Rundfunk ORF. Sophie Roupetz berichtet.

Alen Muhic's speak at the United Nations

"I want to thank all those who have invited and allowed me to be here today with you at this important place on the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict.

Unfortunately, at the very beginning, I must say that from my perspective and my personal experience, the subject and problems of wartime rape and its victims are most often left to volunteerism and humane acts. Justice, social and health care systems are often unavailable for victims and therefore many of them do not report crimes of rape, causing many traumas to remain hidden deep within the spheres of private life. Many have never trusted anyone enough to share their traumatic story.

I have told my story many times, but I sincerely hope that this time from this place it will echo the loudest and be taken most seriously as of yet. This is not just my story, this is not just my pain and suffering. This is the story, the pain and suffering, of all those who "came to this world as I had."

My name is Alen Muhić. I come from Goražde, a small town on the bank of the Drina River in Eastern Bosnia.

I was born in 1993 at the worst time of the war when no necessities were available to the people. There was no electricity, no water, no food, no heat, no love and no hope. My mother left me two days after my birth, fleeing for life. My biological father is a man convicted of the war crime of rape. I was adopted by a janitor in the hospital where I was born.

The Muhić family - these are the people who adopted me at the very peak of the war, when they did not know if they would see the next morning. When there was no electricity, water or food, and they had two daughters already, they took the risk and adopted me. A child who was born of rape. These are the people who gave me unconditional love all these years. All 25 years. People who see me as their very own. I never felt that I was adopted even though I knew well that I was. They gave me everything they could. On this occasion, I want to thank them, especially to my mother, who spent nights and nights crying over how I was adopted. My father who took care of me, a person who loves me with all his being. Thank you my parents, those who are all the world to me. I'm proud of you. I know the time will come when you're no longer here, but then part of me will disappear as well ..

Today, I am happy to be able to speak freely and proudly of myself to those close to me without shame or embarrassment. I did not get entrapped within the armor of a victim and remain permanently in helplessness, waiting for someone's favor. I am a fighter by nature. I love people, I love life. I have a two-year-old son and a wife. I work as a medical technician at the Goražde Cantonal Hospital. I work at the hospital where I was born, in a hospital where I was left by the biological mother, at the hospital where I was adopted.

I am and activist and president of the assembly of the "Forgotten children of war" association. In our association there are Bosniaks, Serbs, Croats. We are one. We are brothers and sisters. We are not interested in religion and nation. We are united. We love and help. This is the name we have given ourselves. In other circumstances, we are called various names, oftentimes inhumane and stigmatizing, but this will not confuse us and prevent us from seeking and attaining our spot under the sun and connect with the entire planet to send an important message to the leaders of the world - they must not play with the destinies of men and with the future of civilization.

Finally, in the name of all my brothers and sisters, I want to share a few messages with you:

- we are not, were not and will not be consequences of the war

- We do not want to be presented and treated as products of hate and conflicts

- We are not mistakes of war or a group that lack human status

- we are simply human beings and are worthy of concern

- do not step on our inherent dignity

- Get us out of the spheres of politics and humanitarian aid

- Do not keep the potential of conflict within us

- We do not want to be the seeds in new conflicts

- We do not want to be part of a group or part of the concept of unneeded individuals

I forgive everyone for everything done to me. I do not hate anyone.

In life, the winner is he who defeats hatred."